Full Terms and Conditions for Hire for Cologin
The booking form must be made by a person over 16 years of age who agrees on behalf of all named persons to abide by this Contract.
1. Contract – When you submit a booking via our online reservation system OR via a third party booking agent you will receive an automatically generated booking summary by email to the email address you provide in the booking form. This does not form a contract between us. A contract shall only arise when your deposit payment has cleared and your booking is subsequently confirmed in writing by post or email. Provisional bookings will be held for a maximum of seven days and will only be confirmed on receipt of the booking form and deposit or full payment if your arrival day is within 14 days of booking. The Contract shall be deemed to have been made at our offices at Cologin and be subject to Scottish Law and the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish Courts. These conditions of hire form the basis of our contract with you. If you make a booking by phone we will confirm by email or by post and a contract will exist on receipt of your confirmation in writing.
2. Terms – The prices shown include the provision of bed linen and towels and an ‘end of stay’ clean in all properties. However, if the accommodation is left in a particularly poor state an ‘excess cleaning charge’ may be applied. Electricity is paid for as a fixed fuel charge and is shown as an extra in your booking summary. VAT on your accommodation rental is included at the applicable rate as set by the UK government – we reserve the right to alter prices should the VAT rate change during the year. Prices may be discounted for various reasons, however, only one discount is ever applicable and in general discounts only apply off season and cannot be applied retrospectively. Please note our booking terms apply to all bookings through our website, verbally or via a third party booking agency.
3. Parties – The total number in your party shall not exceed the capacity of the accommodation as advertised with the exception of babies under 2 in our Inner Hebridean lodges, Cruachan and Cologin Farmhouse only. All male/female and non family groups are accepted only at our discretion and will be liable for a £50 security/housekeeping deposit. A security deposit of £200 applies to all bookings for Cologin Farmhouse. This will be held against a credit card or an un-banked cheque. Should you arrive at Cologin with a group which does not meet these criteria we reserve the right to refuse the use of the accommodation. Please note due to Covid 19 there are legal restrictions on the number of households that can book accommodation together. Please check your booking meets these criteria as you may be refused use of the accommodation if you cannot satisfy us that you meet the regulations.
You may be asked to pay an additional security deposit at the time of take-over. We also reserve the right to refuse to hand over accommodation to any person(s) who, in our opinion, is not suitable to take charge of it. In such cases, all hire charges paid will be refunded in full and the Contract shall be cancelled. If, in our opinion, any person(s) is not suitable to continue the holiday because of unreasonable behaviour, damage to property, or annoyance to the holiday makers, the Contract may be terminated. In this event the hirer shall remain liable to pay the hire price and no refund will be due. The hirer is liable for any damage caused to the holiday home. We have the right to enter any accommodation (without prior notice if this is not practicable or possible) if special circumstances or emergencies arise. A number of Inner Hebridean lodges are specially adapted to make them suitable for assisted wheelchair users. However, the disabled visitor should normally be accompanied by others to attend to their mobility requirements. It is essential that such parties state any special needs at the time of booking and we will do our best to accommodate them or point out which facilities may be unsuitable.
4.1 Deposit – When booking you must pay the deposit due OR the full balance if you are booking within 14 days of the start date of your holiday. We will advise you to seek appropriate holiday insurance for your booking and require you to accept our booking terms and conditions regarding cancellation. Due to Covid we have extended our FREE cancellation period to allow for greater flexibility in the light of Covid 19 continuing to affect 2021. If you cancel your booking due to Covid 19 we will refund your deposit.
4.2 Booking Fee – Following the numerous changes to our operation to cope with the effects of the pandemic we have now added a booking fee. This is non-refundable in the event of cancellation and will be taken with your booking deposit. Changes to bookings (postponements due to Covid) will continue to be made free of charge. However, we reserve the right to add an admin fee if the number of changes/postponements is excessive or are not due to Covid.
4.3 Balance – The balance is due at least 14 days before your holiday start date and will include any booking extras that have been made. If you paid your deposit online via the secure payment gateway your balance can be be processed automatically against the same card used to pay the deposit. For bookings made within 14 days of your holiday start date the full monies are payable at the time of booking. If you book online via an OTA such as booking.com on a ‘NON-REFUNDABLE’ rate then your booking can be cancelled but cancellation fees apply to cover the full cost of your booking. Payment can be taken by cheque, bank transfer, credit or debit card. Please do not send money through the post. Third party vouchers can be used for payment only once verified and redeemed. Payments made in this way cannot be refunded.
5. Cancellation – If you have to cancel your holiday for any reason, send us written/email notification and your cancellation will be effective from the date of receipt. When you make a booking at Cologin you are advised to take out appropriate cancellation insurance to cover your stay. If you cancel more than 15 days from the start date your deposit will be refunded in full as part of our FREE CANCELLATION. If you cancel less than 14 days from your start date and we are successful in re-letting all of your holiday you will only forfeit your booking deposit or the value of the first night’s stay (whichever is the higher amount). If we are only successful in re-letting part of your holiday and the value of the re-let is less than your outstanding balance of hire, you will also be held responsible for the difference. If we cannot re-let and the cancellation date is within 14 days of the start of your holiday, then you will be held responsible for the prompt payment of the full cost. All of your liabilities as stated above may be covered if you have Cancellation Insurance and we strongly recommend all our guests to ensure that you have appropriate cover in place.
6. “Force Majeure” – We regret we cannot accept responsibility or pay any compensation where the performance or prompt performance of our contract with you is prevented or affected by reason of circumstances which amount to force majeure. Circumstances amounting to force majeure include any event which we could not, even with all due care, foresee or avoid. Such circumstances include the destruction or damage of your holiday home (which cannot reasonably be remedied to a satisfactory standard before the start of your holiday) through fire, flood, explosion, storm or other weather damage, break-in, criminal damage or any similar event. Such circumstances also include riots or civil strife, industrial action, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, adverse weather conditions, war or threat of war, actual or threatened terrorist activity and all similar situations beyond our control. In such an event we will endeavour to offer you alternative holiday accommodation or an alternative date if available. If we cannot do so or if you do not wish to accept the alternative we offer, we will issue a credit note or refund all monies you have paid. Please note, all bookings from 3rd July 2020 onwards are made in the knowledge that Coronavirus is now here to stay. Cancellation due to local lock down in your area will be treated sympathetically and we will rearrange your holiday with you.
Where any cancellation or change results from force majeure, our liabilities are limited to offering you an alternative holiday home (where available) or full refund as set out above. We regret we cannot pay any compensation or meet any expenses or costs you may incur as a result of any such cancellation or change. If you have accepted a credit in lieu of a refund our standard cancellation terms and conditions are applicable when you rebook. Likewise, If your original booking is moved/altered due to force majeure then our original terms and conditions are applied. Please note, bookings made subsequent to the reopening of self-catering in Scotland (3rd July 2020) are made in the full knowledge of the potential travel disruption that may continue to result from Coronavirus.
7. Occupancy – Occupancy shall be from 4 pm on the day of arrival to 9.15 am on the day of departure – unless special arrangements have been made a late departures may incur a £25 penalty The lodges are rented as a holiday let and are therefore not an private residential tenancy (see paragraph 6 of schedule 1 of the Private Housing (Tenancies) (Scotland) Act 2016). The hirer shall use the accommodation solely for holiday purposes and the Hirer shall not sub-let the properties or any equipment hired to the hirer.
8. Pets – Pre-booked pets are welcome in our pet friendly properties only on pre-payment of an additional charge per animal of £5.00 per night. We do not allow more than two pets in the Inner Hebridean lodge, Cruachan or Cologin Farmhouse or one pet per Outer Hebridean chalet. There is no charge for guide dogs. Bring your pet basket and pooper scooper with you and please keep pets off bedding or other soft furnishings. Only well-behaved pets should be left unattended in the lodge and then only for short periods of time. Any damage caused by pets will be charged for. Subject to availability (and with advance notice) we may be able to kennel your pet in our stables so you can go out for the day without your pet. Please note, we also have PET FREE lodges so it is extremely important that you book your pets in advance as we may not be able to reallocate you to a PET FRIENDLY lodge if you arrive with a pet that has not been pre-booked. Doing this would invalidate the terms of your booking and may lead to our refusal to provide you with accommodation.
When exercising your pet on the park it must be on a lead. Please clean up any fouling without delay; special bins are provided throughout the park. We have 17,000 acres of forest walks where your pet can walk off the lead. In the interest of visitors’ safety, and following recent government legislation, we are sorry we are unable to accept the following types of dog; American Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Fuila Brasileiro and Dogo Argentino even where these types of dog are muzzled as required by government legislation. Any other type of pet which could present a danger or alarm to other visitors is also excluded.
9. Vehicles – Your vehicles and their accessories and contents are left entirely at your risk. We will not be responsible for any loss or damage from or to any vehicle from any cause whatsoever other than in the case of negligence of our employees or agents. Please only park in designated parking areas and never on the grass! If you have booked the farmhouse please do not park inside the farmhouse courtyard.
10. Liability – We cannot accept liability for any damage, expenses, injury, death or loss of any nature whatsoever suffered by any person(s) from any cause other than in the case of the negligence of our employees or agents. You are strongly recommended to take out appropriate personal insurance for your holiday.
11. Shortcomings – You must notify us of any shortcomings with your accommodation immediately so that corrective action can be taken. We cannot accept liability in relation to any shortcomings or claim of whatever nature if you fail to notify us of any complaint or claim during your holiday and write to us within 30 days of the end of your holiday.
J & L Battison – Cologin, Lerags Glen, Oban, Argyll, PA34 4SE